Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Discipline, Desire and Writing

The other day I ran into an acquaintance, Jack, a salt-of-the-earth older man who does things hands-on.  He built a house off the electricity grid in Arizona - that's the kind of guy he is.

He asked what I'd been up to and I told him I was writing three books on contract in a year. He replied, "How do you find the discipline to write?"

"I need the money!" was my quick retort.  I laughed and walked off.

That's not really the reason. It's been said that about 80% of the people in the world want to write a book. Less than 1/10 of 1% ever do.  Is it that the others lack discipline?

Partly.  But also you have to have the desire to do it. And you have to have the perseverance to keep going even when it gets rough. Lately, it's been tough for me. yesterday was a little better; I got through a dificult chapter and almost have it in hand.

In my 30s, I had the desire to write; I even started what I thought could be a novel or two a couple of times, but I just didn't know where I was going with them.  They were just words. I didn't really have a story, just a few ideas, and also, I didn't really know how to go about it.I didn't know any other writers personally either.

At 39, I had a biz/tech book deal with a major European publisher. I wrote a few chapters, got some bad feedback from a technical editor, then the business editor left and I ran into personal problems (divorce, and much more) and the thing just died out.  What a mistake. It took me 12 years to get back on track and get another book contract. I sure as hell am going to finish these books. The regret that filled me for not finishing the first one is enough to keep me focused.

But in the interim, I learned to be a writer.  I learned by going to poetry readings and talking with poets and writers. I learned by reading the biographies and autobiographies of writers. I learned by reading books on writing. I learned by having other writers that I respect review my progress on my novel. But mostly, I learned by reading the works of great writers - a task that is never finished.

I'm still learning, of course, but it does take discipline.

For me, it also takes discipline NOT to look at business email or that confounded, soul-draining facebook crap first thing in the morning when I come up to my office. On my best days, I roll out my yoga mat and do my little 20 minute routine, and then go to my desk. For weeks  now, months, really, I have been getting up at 3am-4am and starting to work before sunrise. That's the best time for me. It's quiet.  I almost cringe when the sun comes up since my little piece of private solace is soon to be gone, the dogs will start barking, a fire siren goes off, or like yesterday, the neighbors start arguing loudly in the street.

On the weekend, I have to force myself NOT to work on this book.  I hit the wall a couple of weeks ago and started having physical problems with my back, neck and right arm, from toiling away too much.  I was coming apart. So I have to have the discipline to make it a point to get away, to rest, to contemplate and to take care of myself by relaxing a little.

And it took discipline to write this post when I have to get back to my business/tech book writing this morning.

So yeah, it takes discipline, but mostly, you have to have the desire to do it. My first novel took seven years of learning, writing, reading, and working, sometimes putting it away and coming back to it. But the payoff when you see your name on that book cover and hold it in your hands and leaf through those pages you write is simply divine.



No comments: